Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Summer is here already, and I'm not ready.

I started some tomatoes and peppers in February, but I recently killed them accidentally and really should have started them in December or January because they should be in the ground by now.  It's steadily been in the70s and 80s around here and I don't think it's going back to winter temps this year.  I've started some new seeds, but they'll probably be ready for the REALLY hot part of summer which looks like it could come this year starting in May. 

So, Astrid and I started the day after Em borrowed a lawn mower to make some sense of the backyard.  We really need to buy a lawnmower, but that's supposed to be Em's area and I don't want to nag.  I pulled up all the stuff I bought and laid down last summer to keep the grasses out of the garden beds and dileanate a border before Em mowed.  All it did was get caught in the mower and the grasses grew right into it.  We don't have "weird trash collection", so I'm not sure yet what to do with it.  We also don't have a truck to drive it to the dump and Em doesn't sound willing to spend any money this year hiring someone to help with this kindof stuff. 

The peas Astrid planted in the raised bed last fall have started fruiting and a few were even bulging enough for her to try fresh peas.

Of course, her sand and water table were exposed to winter's dirt and bird poop, so washing was in order after an initial appraisal. 





After all this, it was time for a bath and some inside activities. 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No. 1
We cleaned out the sand box today. Astrid helped me scoop out the sand then fun with the water hose. I think the running water made her pee in her pants, but still great fun.

I love the pictures of her cleaning and eating the peas.

Diane said...

Good grief, that girl has grown up!!!

Sorry about the seedlings. Isn't that the way it always goes, though? Either way behind or way ahead schedule...