Thursday, February 18, 2010

Punk Gardening Tips (or how to make biodegradable pots for zero dollars).

The video from which I got this idea made smaller pots using half a roll, but either way seems like a good idea to me.

I'm sending some of my friends/family up north a few starts this year, the weather here is 63 today, and I found myself starting to make some of these "pots" today. Em is SO grateful! I think I've told you how he just can't stand how I save things for no apparent reason and ... empty toilet paper rolls???

The half rolls get cut about 1/2" on 4 sides and don't quite hold the square shape of those in the video, but I was going for them to keep their round shape anyway. I'm NOT handy, so my pots came out looking like they were cut from the hands of a non-handy person with some even requiring a tad of tape to cover the hole from my inability disorder, but the whole point is to make quick, cheap, makeshift, biodegradable pots, so they made the cut.

Photobucket

I lined the shipping box with bubble-wrap to keep the box from getting wet when I water the starts that I put in the little makeshift pots. What? You don't have a closet full of boxes and bubble-wrap? Em would be so proud of you.

Saving pop-tops for No. 2's Theatre class, too.

They're good for extra credit. Not sure when they need to be sent, but I'm hoping it's soon, because between the toilet paper rolls and the pop-tops being saved, Em's fairly sure I'll be on one of those TV reality shows soon.

Photobucket

That difference in color on the TP rolls in the final product is the difference between cottonelle (which always seemed to have coupons) and Angel Soft (now my preferred TP even over Charmin). We don't use recycled TP ... YET.

Photobucket

1 comment:

SpeedKin said...

TP roll savers, unite!

I've been saving mine for months, too. I've also done newspaper pots in the past. Both work well. I also save plastic baby food containers and yogurt cups. Em would lose his mind here!